Sunday, May 9, 2010

A marvelous Mother's Day

1st craft made in the church nursery by Kate and Ryan
(they crumpled the tissue themselves - I know b/c 1 had some drool )


This year was my first to celebrate Mother's Day not just as a daughter, but also as a mom. It was very special for me to take some extra time to realize what an amazing blessing Kate Melaine and Jon Ryan are to my life. They are the children that God chose to entrust to Matt and I to raise, and they were meant specifically for us. That in and of itself is a miracle for any mom. But our children were a long time coming, and through many trials and trusting God, we finally got these precious babies. Its not that every day is roses and sunshine, but boy the days that are sure are nice. I think that the greatest lessons that I've learned thus far are that I am astounded by the capacity of my heart to love, and that I never knew how much being a mom would make me feel love for my own mother. When I delivered the babies and was in the hospital, my mom helped take care of me. And when I came home, she stayed with us and helped take care of the babies and me too. And when I had to go back to work, my mom gave up her career to care for my kids every work day. And while many others helped us (and I am SO grateful for you all) it was such a great comfort for me to know my mom always was there to lend a helping hand or a listening ear. So on this Mother's Day, I thank God for allowing me to be a mother and for the mother that He has given me. I thank Him for the mother-in-law that raised my husband (who is one great man) and the Grandmother and Nana who have always loved me. I give thanks for the aunts that have given me great life/love/family/faith advice and the sisters-in-law who have given great mommy advice. I ask Him to bless the friends that have loved my kids like their own. Happy Mother's Day to you all!

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet post, Jess!!! Happy First Mother's Day to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen you look so genuinely happy as when you hold your babies. Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete